SPOILER ALERT!

Atonement

Atonement - Ian McEwan this book was complicated for me. I both loved it intensely and hated it intensely. The first 1/3 of the book was kind of meh, and I probably would never have made it through that part if it wasn't for the fact that I had watched the movie prior to reading the book, and I knew what was going to happen.

There was one passage that really was awesome to me in the beginning third though. It was Briony musing to herself about how people work. It was awesome to read because I have had a lot of thoughts just like those myself.

The middle of the book, with the development of Robbie and Cecilia's romance I was riveted. And I found myself yelling outloud at Robbie when he made his fatal error of giving the letter to Briony. "NOOOOOO ROBBIEEEE!" XD Seriously I was yelling in my car as I was listening to the audio book on the way to work, hahaa.

I was so riveted by that entire section of the book.. seeing how events played out and feeling sick in my stomach for Robbie.

If the entire book was like that part, I would have given it a 5/5.

But then came the last third of the book, and it completely lost me :( I really hate listening to, watching or reading any stories about war. Seriously, I hate it. So this part was not good to me in the slightest. I didn't care about what the heck Robbie was doing out in the field of battle, and only tuned back in whenever Cecilia was mentioned or the story about them was advanced in some way. I skimmed and even skipped a lot of this part :x

The last third of the book I would probably give a 2/5, since I can see there was good writing involved, but I hate war stories a lot, haha. And it just all seemed way too long and going into details about people in the field that just weren't necessary or helpful to the story.

The end was perfect in my opinion. The world isn't all sunshine and roses, and there was no magical solution to what Briony did to Robbie. It was nice to fantasize about them living happily ever after, but the true ending seemed much more real, even though it was heartbreaking :(

So overall I give Atonement a 3.5/5